Survived Surgery

It has been a long day but we have survived!  Sometimes don’t you  just want an award for surviving a day??

As a mom, one of my hardest jobs is watching my children be scared!  And I had my share of that today!  We arrived right on time at the Surgery Center.  Everything worked quickly and efficiently.  Breezed right through registration easily.  Got into pre op with CHloe.  She had to have not one but two IVs.  She had one in her right arm and one in her left hand.  Poor girl!!  But she’s such a trooper when it comes to things like that.

Then the anesthesiologist came in and began to talk and the more he talked the more Chloe got upset.  I could see it all over her face.  She gets this look in her eyes and then she looks at me!  A tear is on the edge of her eye.  And the moment he walked out, she was falling apart.  I’m scared she voiced with numerous tears.  So I kept telling her she was going to be okay.  I did request some medicine to help her calm down a bit.  And that helped a lot!  It didn’t make her go to sleep but it definitely helped her settle down and chill a little bit.

Nothing was making her smile though.  Not even our pastor singing her lullabies really got her very excited!!  We ended up having to wait for a bit for surgery.  I finally went out and asked how much longer and they told me another hour.  I was very nice but told them we couldn’t wait that long without more chill medicine.  So we had waited long enough for the first med to begin to wear off.  I’m not exactly sure what happened but instead of bringing her more medicine they came and took her to surgery!  I just breathed a BIG thank you to Jesus.  I’m not sure I could have made it another hour.

She didn’t cry when they took her.  But she was very scared!

And once she went to surgery, everything moved VERY quickly!  We had not worried about it at all.  The doctor had told us he thought it was a cyst.  But upon removal, he shared with us it was not a cyst.  He gave us the name of the type of tumor he thought it was and that he was sending it to pathology.  I have lots of questions now but at the time, I couldn’t even really think.  My brain was still processing those two big words he said.

Got her home and she has been in bed all evening.  She got up long enough to eat some baked potato.  She was very restless and hurting until about 8:30 but about 8:30 she settled down.  I’m about to go wake her and give her another dose of pain med and nausea med and hopefully she will sleep through the night!

Krisann has been taking very good care of her!  Krisann is rubbing the massager on Chloe’s back in this picture.  She’s also taken art stuff and colored sitting beside Chloe!  She’s also been a bit jealous of the attention that Chloe has gotten!  It’s been kinda funny to watch and listen the the jealousy come out!  So I will definitely be trying to give her some attention as well as Chloe!

Several people have asked how I held up…I think I did well considering.  I had tears come to my eyes a few times but never down my cheeks.  If I had lost it, Chloe would have REALLY lost it.  So it was important for me to keep it together.  Hard….YES!!  But I did!   I had some great friends that came!   This picture makes me laugh!!

I told them I was going to post it on facebook and say some kind of friends they were!  I think I embarrassed them and made them feel bad!  They both were doing much needed texts!  And it was only for a split second but it was enough to give me a chuckle!  I was NOT offended at all!!  Just funny!!  But truly, I can’t say how thankful I am for Lisa who came and spent the ENTIRE afternoon with me at the hospital.  And for our pastor who popped in and worked hard at singing lullabies to Chloe (LOL!) and praying away major anxiety!  These two were awesome today!  So grateful to be loved by friends and pastors!

For right now, I think I’m just walking around in a surreal world.  There is no way all this can be going on at one time in our lives!  But…it is.  I just think I haven’t fully accepted that it is all real!  Sometimes that’s just God way of protecting us!

Now…we will wait for pathology report to come in!  Just going to continue to pray that it is benign and that’s the end of this unexpected excursion in our lives!  Off to give the girls some meds!!

Thanks for all of you who prayed for us today.  I very much appreciate it!


Wife of 20+ years. Mom to 3 children. Love sharing my life with weary hearts so that we can know the One who is Good, who is in Control, and Whose strength is made perfect in our weaknesses.